Tuesday 2 September 2008

The Libertines

I think pretty much everyone who knows me, knows that I do love The Libertines.
Not only do I adore The Libertines, I'm also a huge fan Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty things.
I've seen both bands live and went to Peter's solo gig at the Royal Albert Hall which was phenomenal and blew me away. Sadly, I never got to see The Libertines perform. :(
Anyway, back to the reason I decided to do this post, my friend sent me a little part of a review about The Libertines' second album, titled [imaginatively] 'The Libertines'. The particular part is describing the front cover of the album which I've forward-thinkingly put at the end of this post.

'Carl looks out with defiant and defeated eyes. It looks like he wants to protect Pete from outsiders, but mostly so that he can punch him in the face himself.'

I think the reason that that particular few sentences stood out, and created such an impact was because it - in a way - sums up The Libertines as a band. The love/hate relationship that Pete and Carl had, how The Libertines were about more than just the music, they were/are also about the concept of being a libertine and how, in the end, the band eventually split up.




(full review http://www.fazed.com/music/the_libertines.html )

No comments: